Search Our Stories:

Sunday, March 10, 2013

That They May Accomplish


My first semester at BYU-Idaho, Elder Brague came around to one of my band rehearsals. He explained his calling and how the Nauvoo brass band was made up of elder and sister missionaries who serve there from May to August.  He then directed us to look at a website with audition information. At the time I thought that spending a summer in Nauvoo as a missionary would be a fantastic experience, so I followed the link he gave us.  As I looked more and more into it, I found that I really wanted to serve there that summer, but quickly realized that a summer in Nauvoo would always conflict with my fall/spring track at BYUI. So much to my disappointment I closed my browser and went back to my practice room.

Flash forward to this last fall semester. As my religion elective I chose to take FDREL303, Teachings of the Living Prophets. (Excellent class by the way. What better homework assignment is there than reading conference talks? :)

As General Conference approached we had more and more discussions as to how to effectively listen to and take notes. Something my professor, Brother Hammond, encouraged us to do was to take notes which were more than just what the speaker said.

"We learn through the spirit," he said, "So why not write down the promptings and feelings that have when first listening?" "We can always go back and re-read what was spoken, but will we always remember the things we felt when we first listened?"

I was very lucky and my mom was able to get me three tickets to the Saturday morning session and so me and two of my best friends took a road trip down to Utah. Growing up in New York, I'd never been to conference, so I was really excited to finally get to go.

As we sat there that morning and President Monson came out, everyone stood. I have never heard 20,000 people be so quite in my life. :) And as we stood I knew in my heart that this man was The Prophet of God.

After the opening song and prayer he then stood and gave his historic address. I looked to either side of me, to my two friends and noticed that we each had started crying. The spirit was so strong. Looking back all I can really make out from my notes is,"I'm going on a mission!," "When is the soonest I can be prepared to go?"

I met with my Bishop in Rexburg, but due to complications with my papers I decided to put off finishing them till I got home at Christmas. Around Halloween Elder Brague made his rounds again at BYUI. This time I knew that I shouldn't be afraid to take off time to go to Nauvoo.

With the help of a very dear friend, a Nauvoo alumni, I submitted my initial audition tape. I was overjoyed to get the email with my callback, but knew that I would be home off-track in New York for the live auditions. I scrambled to pack my apartment, finish projects, take tests, and make a final audition tape at school. We finished recording minutes before the piccolo and recorder were due for the semester and my friend said he'd send the DVD in for me. (Honestly getting everything done that day was a miracle.)

Flash forward to Christmas Day where I got a text from my friend saying, "Merry Christmas! btw I can't find your recordings...where did you save them?" After scouring through his hard-drive we realized that I hadn't properly saved them on his computer and they were now lost. So now I'm two weeks closer to my audition deadline and don't have access to the facilities and equipment I did for my previous recording.

With a prayer in my heart, I borrowed my friend's piccolo and shot my second tape with my dad and his iPad. I knew that if it really were God's will for me to go to Nauvoo, He would make my best effort good enough.

A few days later, shopping in Target with my mom, Elder Brague called to invite me to Nauvoo. The people there must have been a little confused as I eagerly paced through the isles smiling and bouncing around like a kid at Christmas.

Since I'm home working most people are already confused as to what I'm doing with my life, and I've found that my mission call itself is an opportunity to strike up a conversation about the church.

I'm so grateful for all that my Heavenly Father has blessed me with. I'm so excited to be able to share my testimony every day this summer and help to bring joy to others as they learn more about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and in turn, come to better know their Savior.

‘Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment