Search Our Stories:

Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Gift For A Reason

Let me begin by saying, I KNOW everything happens for a reason.

The year was 2005. I was 11 and wanted to follow my sister’s footsteps by joining band class. Unfortunately, there were about 11 clarinetists and the band director didn’t want any more. So, what instrument to play? She said I could either play the French horn or the Trombone. In my mind, I thought a trombone was a boy instrument (remember I was only 11). 

So here I am, 8 years later. Playing my French horn in the BYU Provo Symphonic band.

And I don’t regret a single moment.

Why did I audition for the Nauvoo Brass Band?

Good question. When I first heard about this opportunity, I thought, “Dude! This would be so cool to do!” When the time came for auditions to be sent out, I began to panic because I had no place to record except my kitchen in my old, worn down apartment. I had no expectations for what the results would be. I just thought, I want to live this life with no regrets, knowing that I have taken every opportunity and made the most of it. I want to be able to say that I tried everything I could.

Well, it turned out pretty well. I was informed of my finalist status and might have done a double back flip….

The luncheon gave me the most peaceful reassurance that the Lord was pleased with my decision to audition. I was so overcome by the testimonies and songs in the meeting that I knew I wanted this to be MY experience. I wanted this with all my heart.

I remember kneeling down to pray and expressing my deepest desire to be a part of this band.  I knew it would be difficult, but I wanted it so much. 

D&C 8: 4-5
“Therefore this is thy gift; apply unto it, and blessed art thou…
...remember, this is your gift.”

I never could have imagined that my life could be planned out with just one phone call.

I know that the Lord provides a way through it all. It is still a little surreal to me that I will be a missionary, in the Lord’s hands, sharing the gospel through music and being surrounded by such sacred scenery. I know this gospel is true.  My heart is so full with excitement at the knowledge that I will spend 4 months walking where the beloved Joseph Smith walked.

I know that there is a plan for me.  And come May 3rd, I will be on a plane to the next part of my Journey that the Lord has prepared me for.

No comments:

Post a Comment