Search Our Stories:

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Finding the Right Path

My name is Suzanne Kinghorn. I'm from Laie, Hawaii, and I attend Brigham Young University-Hawaii, studying Music Performance on the Trumpet. Serving in Nauvoo has always been something that I wanted to do. Two years ago I spent about a week of my summer near Nauvoo, and I was amazed at the Spirit that I felt as I saw the places that mean so much to our Church History. I knew two sisters who were serving as members of the Nauvoo Brass Band, and it made me realize how much I wanted to serve there. The next year, I had the opportunity to audition last minute, but I had to turn the offer down, feeling that the time was not quite right for me. I continued with school, and one of my best friends was able to serve in Nauvoo that summer. From that moment I knew that the next year would be my year to serve.

As the year progressed, I found myself unsure about what I was doing with my life. I knew that being in school was the right thing to do, and I knew I would be auditioning to serve in Nauvoo, but I was looking toward the future with uncertainty, not really knowing what path was right for me. Other struggles in my life lead me to seek comfort and guidance from the Lord. October 2012 General Conference came, and with it the announcement about the age change for full-time missionaries. This became a turning point in my life. and things began falling into place. Over the next months, I continued to pray about whether I should serve a mission. My best friend was the greatest example, because of his earnest efforts to begin his mission papers as soon as he could after the announcement was made. I began to feel my desire to serve a mission, to share my testimony of the Gospel, grow with every passing day, when before I had not seriously thought about the possibility.

Soon I began the audition process for Nauvoo, and as I went through that process I became more and more convinced that I should also serve am 18-month mission after returning from Nauvoo. I talked to my Bishop and Stake President, who both were very excited about my decision and helped me work out everything. I began my mission papers soon after the New Year began. My best friend, who helped me record my audition video for Nauvoo, left for his mission to Colorado, Colorado Springs, and his faith and willingness to serve has had a great impact on me and my desire to serve.

My decision to serve as missionary has opened for me the path that is right for me. I am so excited to serve the Lord. I know that the Gospel is true. I am so grateful for the opportunity to share the Gospel through music, which has been one of the greatest anchors in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment